No School, like the old school

Introduce yourself and become a member of our community

No School, like the old school

PostPosted by Mike » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm

and no fool, like an old fool. ;)

I'm going to post my standard introduction and application that I send for prospective Game Masters so that they can get to know me a bit better.

I'm a dedicated role player and when I agree to be at a game I show up 9 out of 10 times and if I can't make it, I make an effort to let everyone know as far in advance as possible.

What I can tell you about me is, I like a serious play style over lighthearted, with a leaning towards grim shades of grey characters instead of single dimensional good heroes. I try to play characters that “feel” real to me, instead of a general heroic archetype. At the end of the day I like to play a character that is on the side of the Angels but complex in their outlook and approach to various situations. If given a choice I prefer Role-Play situations to hack and slash, but in general I like about a 60% role playing to 40% combat ratio. If I join a game I try to enhance the GM’s vision by my narrative support and play; also with the details I put into my character’s background. Characters that "fit" into the setting are important to me. I have a certain dislike for Meta-Gaming Min/Max-ing and rules-lawyering all are equally odious as they waste time and energy that could be spent in much more entertaining ways. Each character should have a chance to shine but one player with an over tweaked character, built to overshadow everyone else is not enjoyable. We are telling the story together; so one character isn’t the “Star” and the rest of the group “Guest Appearances”.

Mature content has it place in games but I feel it should be limited in scope. I absolutely have no problem with issues of Sex, Violence, Sexism, Racism (Elves vs Orcs ECT. NOT REAL WORLD stuff), Religion, and or Sexual Orientation showing up in a games but they shouldn’t dominate it. Handled tastefully these things add spice to a game. But much like cooking with habanero peppers, a little goes a long way. Too much leaves you unable to finish the meal and the metaphor extends to the game table. Feel free to disagree but do it respectfully in another thread or via PM please.

Deal Breakers for me are pretty clear. Nothing is worse than a group of players that act like they aren’t on the same team. That being said I seriously dislike player vs player situations. I don’t mind if characters have different points of view, and argue them, but when it comes down to it players should never draw weapons on one another. That is not a game with which I’d want to take part. Excessive meta-gaming is a terrible strain on credulity for me as well. Nothing will get me to leave your game quicker than a rules related argument that takes up significant portion of game time.

If you'd like to see my Gaming Resume' please take a moment to review it here.

If you're interested in talking to me, please let me know, and we can set up a conversation via skype (or what you normally use). It's always best to interview prospective players and game masters to make sure that we are compatible before actually playing. It works out better in the long run. I find.

Thanks for your time

Peace
--Mike
Mike

Re: No School, like the old school

PostPosted by Ollie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Welcome Mike!
Ollie

Return to Introduce Yourself